Turkey is a country located in the Southeastern Europe, Western Asia. It was founded on October 29, 1923.
Turkey Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with travel information & tips to plan your trip to Turkey and find the best things to see, do and experience in Turkey even before you arrive here.
History [Founded on October 29, 1923] • Capital [Ankara] • Government [Parliamentary Republic] • Currency [Turkish lira (TRY)] • Language [Turkish (official); Kurdish, Zaza, Arabic, Azeri, Laz] • Religion [Islam (Sunni majority, Alevi minority), Eastern Rite Christians, Jews, agnostics, and atheists] • Electricity [230V, 50Hz (NZ plug)] • Time Zone [UTC +2] • Country Code [+90] • Internet TLD [.tr] • Emergencies [Dial 155 for police, 110 for fire, 112 for medical]
Events, Festivals and Holiday
– New Year’s Day, January 1, Fri
– National Sovereignty and Children’s Day, April 23, Sat
– Labour day, May 1, Sun
– Commemoration of Ataturk, Youth and Sports Day, May 19, Thu
– Ramazan Feast, July 7, Thu
– Ramazan Feast, July 8, Fri
– Ramazan Feast Holiday, July 9, Sat
– Victory Day, August 30, Tue
– Kurban Bayrami Holiday, September 11, Sun
– Kurban Bayrami Holiday, September 12, Mon
– Kurban Bayrami Holiday, September 13, Tue
– Kurban Bayrami Holiday, September 14, Wed
– Republic Day, October 29, Sat
Hotel – Porters 4-5 Turkish Lira per piece of luggage
Restaurant – 5%-10% of the bill.
Tour Guide – 5-10TL
Taxi Driver – Fare will be rounded up
Spas – 10%-20% of the bill.
Money & Duty Free
New Turkish Lira: TRY with symbol : YTL =100 New Kurus (Ykr)
New Turkish Lira Notes denominations(YTL): 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200
New Turkish Lira Coin denominations(YTL): 1
New Turkish Lira Coin denominations(Ykr): 1,5, 10, 25, 50
MasterCard and Visa are widely accepted in hotels, shops and restaurants. It is advisable to have more smaller US dollar notes for easy spending as locals prefer dollars.
ATMs are available in many places and accept cards from overseas banks such as MasterCard, Visa, Cirrus, Plus, Maestro.
Widely accepted. In Pounds Sterling, Euros or US Dollars
Mon to Fri: 0830-1200, 1330-1700