Macau | Shopping | Food & Drinks | Amusement Parks | Temples | Palaces | Gardens | Itinerary | Tour Packages | Climate | Festivals & Events | Transport | Money | Safety | Culture | Business | Education | Healthcare | Restaurants | Flights | Accommodation | Cruises & Ferry | Cars
Macau is a country located on the western bank of the Pearl River Delta in southern Guangdong, China. It was founded in 1557.
Macau Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with local travel information & tips to plan your trip to Macau and find the best things to see, do and experience in Macau even before you arrive here.
Fortaleza do Monte is the historical military centre of Macau, China. It is part of the “Historic Centre of Macau” and is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Galaxy Macau is a grand casino and hotel complex.
The Macau Museum sits on the hill of the Fortaleza do Monte, a 16th-century fort in Macau. The museum was open on 18 April 1998.
Tourists visit the Historic Centre of Macao-Senado Square in Macau, China. The Historic Centre of Macao is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Venetian Casino is a famous shopping mall, luxury hotel and the largest casino in the world in Taipa.
Shopping Malls, Streets, Markets
Malls and Streets
Local Food Guide
Drinks & Desserts Guide
History [Founded in 1557] • Capital [Macau] • Government [Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China] • Currency [Macau Pataca (MOP) (official) and Macau Dollar (HKD)] • Language [Chinese Portuguese] • Religion [Buddhist, Christian] • Electricity [220V, 50Hz (rounded 3-pin 5A and 15A plug and UK 13A plug)] • Time Zone [UTC+8] • Country Code [+853] • Internet TLD [.mo] • Emergencies [Dial 999]
Events, Festivals and Holiday
– New Year’s Day, January 1, Fri
– Lunar New Year, 8-10 February, Mon-Wed
– Good Friday, March 25, Fri
– Holy Saturday, March 26, Sat
– Easter Monday, March 28, Mon
– Ching Ming Festival, April 4 , Mon
– Labor Day, May 1, Sun
– The Buddhas Birthday, May 14, Sat
– Dragon Boat Festival, Jun 9, Thu
– Day after Autumn Festival, September 16, Fri
– National Day of People’s Replublic of China, October 1, Sat
– Chinese National Holiday, October 2, Sun
– Chung Yeung Festival , October 9, Sun
– All Souls’ Day, November 2, Wed
– Feast of Immaculate Conception, December 08, Thu
– Macau SARE Day, December 20, Tue
– Dongzhi, December 21, Wed
– Christmas Eve, December 24, Sat
– Christmas Day, December 25, Sun
Restaurant – no need as there is a 10% service charge in the bill.
Tour Guide –
Hotel – USD $2-3 per piece of luggage.
Taxi Driver – No tipping expected.
Spas – No tipping expected.
Money & Duty Free
Pataca: MOP with symbol MOP$
Pataca Notes denominations (MOP$): 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, 1000
Pataca Coin denominations (MOP$): 1, 2, 5 and 10
Pataca Coin denominations (avos): 10, 20, 50
1MOP$ = 100 avos
MasterCard and Visa are widely accepted in hotels, shops and restaurants.
ATMs are available in many places and accept cards from overseas banks such as MasterCard, Visa, Cirrus, Plus, Maestro. Both patacas and Hong Kong dollars can be dispensed.
Not widely accepted. In US dollar recommended.