Egypt | Shopping | Food & Drinks | Amusement Parks | Temples | Palaces | Gardens | Itinerary | Tour Packages | Festivals & Events | Transport | Money | Safety | Culture | Business | Education | Healthcare | Restaurants | Flights | Accommodation | Cruises & Ferry | Cars
Table of Contents
Egypt is a country located in North Africa and Southwest Asia within continent Africa. It was founded around 3150-3200 BC.
Egypt Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with travel information & tips to plan your trip to Egypt and find the best things to see, do and experience in Egypt even before you arrive here.
Shopping Malls, Streets, Markets
Malls and Streets
History [Founded in around 3150-3200 BC] • Capital [Cairo] • Government [Republic] • Currency [Egyptian pound (EGP)] • Language [Arabic(Official), English and French] • Religion [Muslim (mostly Sunni), Coptic Christian] • Electricity [220V, 50Hz (Europlug and Schuko plug)] • Time Zone [UTC/GMT +2h] • Country Code [+20] • Internet TLD [.eg] • Emergencies [Dial 122 for police]
Events, Festivals and Holiday
– Coptic Christmas Day, January 7, Thu
– Revolution Day, January 25, Mon
– Sinai Liberation Day, April 25, Mon
– Coptic Easter Sunday, May 01, Sun
– Labour Day, May 01, Sun
– Sham EI Nessim, May 02, Mon
– End of Ramadan, July 7, Thu
– End of Ramadan Day 2, July 8, Fri
– End of Ramadan Day 3, July 9, Sat
– Revolution Day, July 23, Sat
– Eid Al Adha, September 11, Sun
– Eid Al Adha Holiday, September 12, Mon
– Eid Al Adha Holiday, September 13, Tue
– Eid Al Adha Holiday, September 14, Wed
– El Hijra, October 02, Sun
– Arm Forces Day, October 06, Thu
– Moulid El Nabi, December 12, Mon
Hotel – 3-10 LE.
Restaurant – 10% of the bill
Tour Guide – 50 LE
Taxi Driver – No tipping expected.
Spas – 10% – 15% of the bill
Hair Dresser – No tipping expected.
Money & Duty Free
Egypt Dollar: Egyptian Pound or ginee with symbol: E£ = 100 piastres
Egypt Dollar Notes denominations (E£): 25 piastres, 50 piastres, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200
Egypt Coin denominations (piastres): 5, 10, 20, 25
MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, Visa are widely accepted in hotels, shops and restaurants. It is advisable to have more smaller US dollar notes for easy spending as locals prefer dollars.
ATMs are available in major town and accept cards from overseas banks such as MasterCard, Visa, Cirrus, Plus, Maestro.
Accepted. In US Dollars, Euro, Pounds Sterling or Australian Dollars.
Sun to Thurs : 0830-1400
How to get in and out of Egypt
A passport with at least 6 months validity.
A valid tourist visa. You can obtain the visa at Egypt embassy or on arrival at the two international airports. The visa is valid for 30 days.
You can enter Egypt by its 2 international airports:
You can enter Egypt by
You can enter Egypt by
How to get around Egypt
- Domestic airlines
- Not in operation
Keep yourself insured
- Ensure you buy travel insurance before you come as admitting to local hospitals for tourists will be expensive.
Keep yourself safe
- Do not walk alone late at night.
- Avoid unlit areas.
- Do not leave your drink unattended.
- Do not carry a lot of valuables and cash.
- Avoid cash counting in public.
- Do not accept offer of rides from stranger.
Keep belongings safe
- Ensure your cars and accommodation are locked when leaving for other destinations.
- Do not leave your wallets, mobile phones, bags, backpacks, or cameras unattended in public places.
- Report lost or stolen possessions to local police stations. Get a report from them if you are claiming travel insurance.
Keeping safe with alcohol
- If you drink alcohol in designated ban area could lead to fine or being arrested.
- You can be fined for drinking alcohol on public transport, including taxis.
- If you drink, take cab back to your accommodation. Best if your friend can accompany.
Keeping your credit cards and identity safe
- Do not show your credit card number and PIN that will let people capture with a camera.
- Do not bring too many credit cards.
- Report lost or stolen credit cards immediately.