Argentina | Shopping | Food & Drinks | Amusement Parks | Temples | Palaces | Gardens | Itinerary | Tour Packages | Festivals & Events | Transport | Money | Safety | Culture | Business | Education | Healthcare | Restaurants | Flights | Accommodation | Cruises & Ferry | Cars
Argentina is a country located in southern South America. It was founded on July 9, 1816.
Argentina Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with travel information & tips to plan your trip to Argentina and find the best things to see, do and experience in Argentina even before you arrive here.
Table of Contents
San Carlos de Bariloche, also known as Bariloche, is a city in the province of Río Negro, Argentina. Located within the Nahuel Huapi National Park. It is popular with tourists for the skiing, trekking and mountaineering. To add on, it has many restaurants, cafés and chocolate shops operating here.
Ibera Wetlands, world’s second-largest wetlands, is the home of marshlands, savannah grasslands, swamps, bogs, stagnant lakes, lagoons, natural slough and courses of water located in the center-north of the province of Corrientes in Argentina.
Iguazu Falls/Iguassu Falls/the Iguaçu Falls, the largest waterfalls system in the world, are waterfalls of the Iguazu River found on the border of the Argentine province of Misiones and the Brazilian state of Paraná. It is definitely unbelievably cool watching the endless flow of water.
Mendoza Wine Regions is the largest wine region in Argentina. It is situated at the edge of the Andes Mountains where annual production of red wine can reach 60-70 percent of the total country production. Mendoza city has now become the world’s wine capitals where its wine-tourism is gaining popularity.
Monte Fitz Roy, also known as Chaltén, is a mountain located near El Chaltén village, in the Southern Patagonian Ice Field in Patagonia. It has a height of around 3000 meters. It is a popular tourist destination for hiking and mountaineering.
Perito Moreno Glacier is a glacier located in the Los Glaciares National Park in southwest Santa Cruz Province, Argentina. Viewing Perito Moreno Glacier will give you a spectacular and unforgettable experience. In addition, there is a Perito Moreno rupture phenomenon occurring once every 4 to 5 years where the ice bridge ruptures and collapses in a spectacular event.
Ushuaia is the capital of Tierra del Fuego, Antártida e Islas del Atlántico Sur Province in Argentina. It is located on the southernmost tip of South America which many named it as “End of the World”. Visitors can go hiking in Tierra del Fuego National Park and spend the day exploring the parks natural scenic views and wildlife.
Peninsula Valdes located on Argentina’s Atlantic coast. It is a World Heritage Site in 1999 by UNESCO. Here, visitors can see the largest marine animals in their natural habitat such as whales, elephant seals, penguins and dolphins.
Buenos Aires Shopping Malls, Streets, Markets
Malls and Streets
- Calle Florida (Florida street)
- Galerías Pacífico Shopping Mall
- Abasto Shopping Mall
- Alto Palermo Shopping Mall
- Unicenter Shopping Mall
- Patio Bullrich Shopping Mall
- Greta Flora
- Terroir: Wine shop
- The market in San Telmo
- Murillo Street for leather
- SAT Market Palermo: Trinkets and Handicrafts
Local Food Guide
Local food cuisine:
Local Drinks & Desserts
- Lemon & Paeroa
History [Founded on July 9, 1816] • Capital [Buenos Aires] • Government [Federal Republic] • Currency [Argentine Peso (ARS)] • Language [Spanish] • Religion [Roman Catholic, Evangelists, agnostics, atheists, Protestant, Jewish, Muslims ] • Electricity [220V, 50Hz (European plug)] • Time Zone [UTC/GMT -3h] • Country Code [+54 ] • Internet TLD [.ar] • Emergencies [Dial 101 or 911 for police, 100 for fire,107 for medical]
Events, Festivals and Holiday
– New Year’s Day, January 1, Fri
– Carnival Monday, 8 February, Mon
– Carnival Tuesday, 9 February, Tue
– Truth and Justice Memorial Day, March 24, Thur
– Good Friday, March 25, Fri
– Malvinas Day, April 2, Sat
– Labour Day, May 01, Sun
– May Day Revolution, May 25, Wed
– National Flag Day, June 20, Mon
– Public Holiday, July 08, Fri
– Independence Day, July 09, Sat
– St Martins Day, August 15, Mon
– Day of respect for cultural diversity, October 10, Mon
– Day of National Sovereignty, November 28, Mon
– Immaculate Conception Day, December 08, Thur
– Public Holiday, December 09, Fri
– Christmas Day, December 25, Sun
Hotel – 1-5 pesos
Restaurant – 10% of the bill
Tour Guide – 10-20% of the bill
Taxi Driver – No tipping expected. Leave change.
Spas – 15-20% of the bill
Hair Dresser – No tipping expected.
Money & Duty Free
Peso : ARS with symbol: AR$ = 100 centavos
Dollar Notes denominations (AR$): 2, 5, 10, 20, 50,100
Coin denominations (NZ$): 1, 2, 5
Coin denominations (centavos): 1, 5, 10, 25, 50
MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club, Visa are widely accepted in hotels, shops and restaurants. It is advisable to have more smaller US dollar notes for easy spending as locals prefer dollars.
ATMs are available in major town and accept cards from overseas banks such as MasterCard, Visa, Cirrus, Plus, Maestro.
Accepted. In US Dollars, Euro, Pounds Sterling or Australian Dollars.
Mon to Fri: 1000-1500
How to get in and out of Argentina
A passport with at least 6 months validity.
No visa is required if purpose of visit is tourism. For US, Canadian, and Australian citizens, a “Reciprocity Fee” is charged by the Argentine Government.
US Citizen: USD160 fee allows multiple entries to Argentina for 10 years.
Australians Citizen: AUD100 fee allows multiple entries for 1 year.
Canadian Citizens: USD92 for multiple entries up till a month before the passport expires.
You can enter Argentina by its international airports:
Buenos Aires’ international airport Ezeiza: +54 11 5480-6111
You can enter Argentina by
1. Retiro Bus Terminal: +54 11 4310-0700
You can enter Argentina by ferry
How to get around Argentina
You can get around Argentina, Buenos Aires by its domestic airport
- Aeroparque Jorge Newbery.
The main carriers
You can get around Argentina by its trains from Buenos Aires to Tucuman, Cordoba, Rosario (fr Retiro station), Bahia Blanca and Mar del Plata.
The main train operators are
- Onda Verde: 4867-0000
- Premium : 4374-6666, 5238-0000
- Radio Taxi Siglo: 4633-4000
- New Taxi: 4551-1110
- Easy Taxi App
Car Rental Operators
Keep yourself insured
- Ensure you buy travel insurance before you come as admitting to local hospitals for tourists will be expensive.
Keep yourself safe
- Do not walk alone late at night.
- Avoid unlit areas.
- Do not leave your drink unattended.
- Do not carry a lot of valuables and cash.
- Avoid cash counting in public.
- Do not accept offer of rides from stranger.
Keep belongings safe
- Ensure your cars and accommodation are locked when leaving for other destinations.
- Do not leave your wallets, mobile phones, bags, backpacks, or cameras unattended in public places.
- Report lost or stolen possessions to local police stations. Get a report from them if you are claiming travel insurance.
Keeping safe with alcohol
- If you drink alcohol in designated ban area could lead to fine or being arrested.
- You can be fined for drinking alcohol on public transport, including taxis.
- If you drink, take cab back to your accommodation. Best if your friend can accompany.
Keeping your credit cards and identity safe
- Do not show your credit card number and PIN that will let people capture with a camera.
- Do not bring too many credit cards.
- Report lost or stolen credit cards immediately.