Thailand, also known as the land of smiles, is a country located in South East Asia. It was founded in 1238. Thailand capital is Bangkok and it is a Buddhist country. Thailand offers a variety of shopping, food and entertainment experiences. (photo above is taken by anekoho / Shutterstock.com)
History [Founded in 1238] • Capital [Bangkok] • Government [Constitutional Monarchy] • Currency [Thai baht (THB)] • Language [Thai(official)] • Religion [Buddhism] • Electricity [220V, 50Hz (American and/or European plug)] • Time Zone [UTC +7] • Country Code [+66] • Internet TLD [.th] • Emergencies [Dial 191]
- Ayutthaya. It is a historical city, UNESCO World Heritage Site and old capital of Siam.
- Chiang Mai. It is de facto capital of Northern Thailand.
- Chiang Rai — It is the gateway to the Golden Triangle.
Thailand Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with travel information & tips to plan your trip to Thailand and find the best things to see, do and experience in Thailand even before you arrive here.
Chao phraya river is a major river in Thailand. The water flows through Bangkok and then into the Gulf of Thailand. Tourist can take a cruise to view the historical landmarks along the Chao Phraya River.
The Grand Palace is made up of complex buildings for official residence of Thai Kings in the past. It was built in 1782 by King Rama I who established Bangkok as Thailand’s new capital. The palace complex features a few great buildings such as Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew).
Wat Phra Kaew is a Buddhist temple located within the Grand Palace which houses the Phra Kaew Morakot (the Emerald Buddha). The Emerald Buddha is a Buddha image in the meditating position following the Lanna school of the north, dating from the 15th century AD. Visitors do take note that no one is allow near the Emerald Buddha except the king.
Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara, also known as Loha Prasat (Metal Palace), is a Buddhist temple situated at the intersection between maha Chai Road and Ratchadamnoen Klang in the district of Phra Nakhon.
CentralWorld is a shopping plaza and complex in Bangkok, Thailand. It is the third largest shopping complex in the world.
Siam Center houses 400 stores of leading fashion and clothing.
Terminal 21, famous shopping mall, located near Asoke intersection in Bangkok,Thailand.
- Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Roof Top Bars
- Cultural Shows and Dinner
- Live Music
- Muay Thai Live Show
- Gay Bangkok
- Night Markets
Keep yourself insured
- Ensure you buy travel insurance before you come as admitting to local hospitals for tourists will be expensive.
Keep yourself safe
- Do not walk alone late at night.
- Avoid unlit areas.
- Do not leave your drink unattended.
- Do not carry a lot of valuables and cash.
- Avoid cash counting in public.
- Do not accept offer of rides from stranger.
Keep belongings safe
- Ensure your cars and accommodation are locked when leaving for other destinations.
- Do not leave your wallets, mobile phones, bags, backpacks, or cameras unattended in public places.
- Report lost or stolen possessions to local police stations. Get a report from them if you are claiming travel insurance.
Keeping safe with alcohol
- If you drink alcohol in designated ban area could lead to fine or being arrested.
- You can be fined for drinking alcohol on public transport, including taxis.
- If you drink, take cab back to your accommodation. Best if your friend can accompany.
Keeping your credit cards and identity safe
- Do not show your credit card number and PIN that will let people capture with a camera.
- Do not bring too many credit cards.
- Report lost or stolen credit cards immediately.