Singapore is a global city and sovereign state located in Southeast Asia and the world’s only island city-state. It is often referred to as the Lion City, Garden City and the Red Dot. It was founded on 6 Feb 1819 and is now a global financial hub with a tropical climate and multicultural population. This densely populated island is covered with tropical flora, parks and gardens. Best time to visit Singapore is from July to September where Great Singapore Sale and Singapore Food Festival happens. (photo above is taken by Hit1912 / Shutterstock.com)
History [Founded in 6 Feb 1819] • Capital [Singapore] • Government [Parliamentary Republic ] • Currency [Singapore Dollar SGD] • Official Language [English, Mandarin Chinese, Malay (national), Tamil] • Religion [Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism, Taoism, Confucianism] • Electricity [230V, 50Hz (UK plug)] • Time Zone [UTC +8h] • Country Code [+65] • Internet TLD [.sg] • Emergencies [Dial 999]
Singapore Travel Guide
This local travel guide below will provide you with local travel information & tips to plan your trip to Singapore and find the best things to see, do and experience in Singapore even before you arrive here.
Universal Studios Singapore is a theme park located within Resorts World Sentosa on Sentosa Island of Singapore. It was opened in 18 march 2010. The most popular rides in Universal Studios are Transformers: The Ride, Battlestar Galactica, Canopy Flyer and Enchanted Airways.
S.E.A. Aquarium is an oceanarium situated in Sentosa (offshore Singaporean island) which houses more than 2000 plus marine animals from different regions of the world.
Singapore’s zoo is a wildlife park located in Mandai. Here, visitors can see animals roam freely in their natural habitats.
The Night Safari is the world’s first nocturnal zoo and is widely visited by tourist in Singapore.
The National Museum of Singapore is a oldest museum in Singapore.
The Singapore Botanic Gardens is a 156-year-old tropical garden located near the Singapore’s main shopping belt. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Gardens by the Bay is a nature park which occupies 101 hectares of reclaimed land in central Singapore, adjacent to the Marina Reservoir. The park is made up of three waterfront gardens namely Bay South Garden, Bay East Garden and Bay Central Garden.
The Peranakan Museum is a museum in Singapore which exhibits Peranakan cultural artifacts.
Keep yourself insured
- Ensure you buy travel insurance before you come as admitting to local hospitals for tourists will be expensive.
Keep yourself safe
- Do not walk alone late at night.
- Avoid unlit areas.
- Do not leave your drink unattended.
- Do not carry a lot of valuables and cash.
- Avoid cash counting in public.
- Do not accept offer of rides from stranger.
Keep belongings safe
- Ensure your cars and accommodation are locked when leaving for other destinations.
- Do not leave your wallets, mobile phones, bags, backpacks, or cameras unattended in public places.
- Report lost or stolen possessions to local police stations. Get a report from them if you are claiming travel insurance.
Keeping safe with alcohol
- If you drink alcohol in designated ban area could lead to fine or being arrested.
- You can be fined for drinking alcohol on public transport, including taxis.
- If you drink, take cab back to your accommodation. Best if your friend can accompany.
Keeping your credit cards and identity safe
- Do not show your credit card number and PIN that will let people capture with a camera.
- Do not bring too many credit cards.
- Report lost or stolen credit cards immediately.